Records of the hamlet of Peralta date back to the fourteenth century when Castruccio Castracani, lord and protector of the province of Lucca from 1316 – 28, built one of his ‘Castello’ on the brow of the hill above Peralta. It is believed he built the stone dwellings that are now the hamlet of Peralta to house his soldiers, but there is no official record of this.
The foundations of the ‘Castello’ can be seen a few hundred metres up the hill above Peralta.
Subsequently, there is no recognition of Peralta itself until the 20th century when we know it was inhabited by families managing to survive mainly on the produce from their olives, sheep and chestnuts. It was a very poor existence and in the mid-1950s, when the western world was getting back on its feet after the second world war, the families saw the chance of making a better living elsewhere and abandoned their hillside houses and headed for a new life.
By 1967, when the sculptor Fiore de Henriquez first discovered Peralta, all the houses of Peralta had been abandoned except for two. Fiore was staying at this time with American sculptor Jacques Lipchitz and his wife Yulla in Pieve, further down the hill towards Camaiore.